Sunday, September 22, 2024

WIZARD UPDATE #3

(a) There have been a number of people who love the original Wizard game and are not pleased to see the additional versions of “Wizard Magic” and “Wizard Camelot”. I sympathize with their viewpoint and will take this opportunity to explain. I had no intention of creating additional versions. However, “U.S. Games Systems” (USGS) took the initiative, created a monster version that consisted of 66 cards with really weird functions then asked me to evaluate it. I was surprised and when I strongly criticized the new version, I was asked what changes I would recommend. In response I insisted that we stay with a 60-card format and developed “Wizard Camelot”. Unfortunately, I listened to advice from others and the outcome was a flawed version which never gained general acceptance. Disappointed with my initial attempt to create a new version I then created “Wizard Magic” which attempted to challenge the invincibility of the Wizard cards. This version has become a favorite of many players. Nevertheless, I was not happy with the fragmentation of the game and wanted to return to a single item Wizard product. The creation of “Wizard Omnibus” returns the buyer’s choice to a single item offering all three versions at the same low price. It is my hope that it will become the only Wizard game available in stores.

(b) There has also been some discussion about who controls “Wizard” and the financing involved. “Wizard Cards Int’l Inc.” (WCII) is an Ontario corporation. Correctly there are 5 shareholders. The company consists of 10,000 shares. The company maintains 36% of the shares and “K. Fisher Enterprises” is the major shareholder with 35% of the shares. The other 4 shareholders hold a total of 29% of the shares.(None of the other 4 shareholders are regular players of the online game.) As mentioned in “Wizard Update 2”, “US Games Systems” of Stamford CT is licensed to market the game. Their license remains in effect as long as they have the game available for sale. “USGS” has sub-licensed the game to “Amigo Spiele” of Germany for most countries excluding North America and Australia. The royalty rate for the sales of the game is 10% which is shared equally between “USGS” and “WCII”. Although “USGS” is responsible for promoting and advertising the game “WCII” spends more money and devotes more time in both areas despite having no obligation to do so.

(c) “Update 2” outlined some of the current problems related to Victor Lawson, the programmer of the website. Our programmer, Victor Lawson informed me that he was no longer able to work on behalf of Wizard. He said that he planned to sell the rights to his gaming programme and pursue other goals. Subsequently I have been busy preparing to move our private server from his residence. However, today (Sunday, September 22) he emailed me that his ultimate goal was to make Wizard a gambling phenomenon. To quote his email, “At the end of the day Wizard will be the next Texas hold ’em if I have my way.” This is good news as the online Wizard game should continue uninterrupted for the immediate future. However, the hurdles Victor faces are considerable and he could quickly become disillusioned so I remain concerned about the future of the site.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Ken that the hurdles Victor will have to overcome are gigantic. If it is the USA market he is after related to gambling, there are so many legal regulations to deal with, a small operation like Victor's will be hard-pressed to gather the viability to pull that off because the costs will be overwhelming. I wish him all the best in this endeavor.

    Tim (verona)

    ReplyDelete